Business Development Associate
InclusionVentures helps organizations bring out the best in their people so that, together, they can bring their world-changing ideas to life. We are a boutique consulting firm focused on identifying the most effective and scalable ways to make inclusion the norm through organizations’ workforce, work culture, and work products and services.
InclusionVentures has a small but mighty team that is growing quickly and is looking to continue making a big impact and, dare we hope, a better world. Our company just turned four years old and is proud to have worked with over 75 startups, tech companies, foundations, and innovative organizations. Learn more about what we do.
InclusionVentures is growing! We are hiring a Business Development Associate, a key role that will report directly to the CEO and will work collaboratively with the team and clients on all things business development. You’ll drive business development efforts from initial calls to contract signing, and support the behind-the-scenes strategy of growing our business. This is a compelling role for someone who is a skilled writer, who enjoys balancing multiple projects at once, who is a creative problem solver and a critical thinker, and who is deeply passionate about making inclusion the norm.
This is a great opportunity to join a growing company -- you’ll get to support the CEO to think through business development strategy as well as directly impact our ability to grow. This role has the opportunity for advancement and for developing skills. We understand that some applicants will be stronger in certain elements of this role than in other areas. Don’t let that stop you from applying! Prior business development experience is not required. We are committed to your development and growth.
In this role, you will have the ability to impact every aspect of our business development work. Support our team in securing new business by:
- Leading all inbound business development inquiries, scheduling and conducting introductory calls, and determining and managing next steps
- Writing and sending proposals
- Proactively managing our business development pipeline and CRM
- Creating a seamless transition from accepted proposals to the project team
- Tracking and reporting key data to assess the success of our process
- Convening events and opportunities and attending networking events
- Supporting the CEO in publishing content
- Participating in other strategic growth activities to support the CEO and team
A successful candidate is
- A Skilled Communicator & Writer: Writing and editing proposals are integral parts of this role. We are seeking a skilled and compelling writer and verbal communicator who can effectively write, edit, convey, and present with a deep connection to our work so that clients understand how our work positively impacts their businesses. It’s important that our approach to business development aligns with our mission and values; the Business Development Associate will receive in-depth training in best practices and our approach.
- A Project Manager: You’ll manage a variety of leads and business development projects at varying stages in the process while working collaboratively with all team members and potential clients. An effective Business Development Associate will thoughtfully lead multiple projects of varying urgency at once, prioritizing, and managing up and laterally.
- A Relationship Builder & Team Player: People and relationships are at the heart of InclusionVentures’ approach and culture. Successful team members enjoy collaborating and thought-partnering on diverse teams and invest their energies in building meaningful relationships with staff and clients. This role will have access to sensitive information regularly. Demonstrating trustworthiness and discretion is critical.
- Experienced in Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging: You have a deep passion for our work around creating inclusive, diverse, equitable, and innovative organizations, as well as formal or informal experience in the DEI space. You also have a commitment to continuous learning.
Other things to know
- We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that reflects our values and our work. It is our aim to practice what we believe in every interaction. As such, we continuously push ourselves and each other to challenge our beliefs and thinking. InclusionVentures is an equal opportunity employer. We are especially excited about applications from people who intrinsically understand the challenges of people often underrepresented in the workplace.
- We are a small and mighty team of 4 full-time staff. We are in high demand and are actively expanding our reach, which means we must be agile, nimble, and exhibit a growth mindset.
- Those of us in the Bay Area work out of an awesome co-working space, as well as from client sites. One of our team members works on the East Coast. We all travel regularly to client sites for engagements, though minimal travel is expected in this role. In addition to our full-time staff, we work with a cohort of talented trainers and facilitators who help us deliver the best client engagements possible.
- As we value our people, we offer competitive compensation as well as health benefits.
- While this role is ideally based in the San Francisco Bay Area, we are open to applicants from across the United States with the ability to travel up to 10% and a willingness to be flexible working across time zones to support our potential clients and team.
How to apply
To apply, please send the following to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled, though we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
- Cover Letter
- Please include “Business Development Associate” in the subject line.
- Note: While we appreciate transparency, please do not include salary history in your cover letter. We want to compensate you fairly for the role, not based on your salary history, as part of our efforts to create as inclusive of a hiring process as possible.